From smart speakers to thermostats, TVs to cameras, our household devices have multiplied and many are able to connect to the Internet through your home router. As convenient and handy as these smart devices are, they can pose risks to you, your family and your home network if not properly secured.
Sugerencias para protegerte:
Before purchasing and installing your devices, do your homework. Make sure the devices you are purchasing allow you to change default usernames and passwords and perform regular and automatic software updates. If it's unclear whether the device offers these capabilities, contact the seller or manufacturer. If you are unable to confirm whether the device supports password changes and software updates, or if you are able to confirm that it does not, don't purchase it--find something more secure.
When installing your smart devices, be sure to do the following:
- Carefully follow the manufacturer’s set-up and security instructions.
- Change the default usernames and passwords of the devices, since those credentials may be publicly available. A strong password should consist of at least 8 or more characters and have numbers, letters (uppercase and lowercase) and special characters. The longer the password, the better.
- Adjust the default privacy settings to determine which data gets collected and shared. Limit accordingly.
- Disable features you don't need, such as microphone, speaker or remote access administration. Disable or disallow access to the device from outside of your home network unless you are confident that you have properly secured remote access.
- Enable automatic software updates on devices. Using the latest device software versions can help protect you from vulnerabilities.
- Be mindful of where you place your smart devices to ensure your privacy is protected.
- Be sure to turn off the device when not in use.
- If the device is a video camera, smart home device, or other device that you want to be able to access from outside your home, for example through an app on your smartphone, it is especially important to make sure the device is secured from hackers and other Internet users by following steps above, otherwise anyone can take control of your device and use it for their purposes or to harm you.